Prepping for a recent getaway to Maui, I found myself obsessing over packing lists and finding the most trek-worthy outfit to wear on the day we reserved for the Road to Hana.
And being the driver, it had to last through 6+ hours of winding roads, unpredictable weather, and various sightseeing stops (beach, jungle, waterfalls, and more).
What I decided on became my official Maui uniform for the trip, and if I could only choose one ensemble to wear each day, this would be the one.
You know you’ve got these items in your closet already. Round ’em up and set them aside for your next tropical road trip.
- Beachy trucker hat. This one from Patagonia is similar to one from Lululemon I’ve had for 5+ years now — simple, vented, and fast-drying.
- Slouchy V-neck. Don’t wear anything too precious on the Road to Hana. Go for your most comfortable cotton t-shirt. Bring an identical back-up in case of an overturned-roadside-coconut spill (true story).
- Light denim shorts. Worn-in, a little roomy, and not too short.
- Mirrored sunnies. I finally gave in to the peer pressuring from countless Bachelor/ette alums and bought a pair of Diff sunglasses. Worth it.
- Cozy sneakers. I’ve gone through 3 pairs of these sneakers-meet-mocassins-meet-aquasocks dream shoes by Native. Maybe not so much aquasock material, but OK with water, easy to clean, and sturdy enough for driving. I’m already eyeing my next pair..